The Samuel de Champlain History Center,
Village of Champlain, New York
Dedicated to preserving the Village and Town of Champlain's History and
promoting awareness of the French Settlement in New York, Vermont and Quebec, and Samuel de Champlain's exploration of Lake Champlain.
The Samuel de Champlain History Center, located in the heart of the Village of Champlain, was found by village resident Celine Racine Paquette. The center is housed in the former First National Bank of Champlain, which was built in 1880 on the beautiful bank of the Great Chazy River.
The center houses a very large collection of papers, books, photographs, posters, and furniture and antiques that directly relate to the history of the village and town of Champlain. Many of the posters and antiques are on display on the first floor.
In addition to the items related to the village and town of Champlain, the center houses a large collection of books related to Samuel de Champlain as well as material on the French Canadians.
Celine Paquette was vice-chair on the New York State Quadricentennial Commission for the celebrations in 2009. Considerable material is at the center related to the 1909 Tercentenary celebration as well as the 2009 celebration.
Built in 1880 of stone, the former bank building had a brick second story added to it in 1905 by noted architect Hugh McLellan. McLellan was the architect for many buildings in the town of Champlain and was also the designer of the Champlain Memorial monuments in Crown Point and Plattsburgh in 1912. Around 2004, the building was purchased by Paquette and restored to its original grandeur.
The history center has varying hours so it is important to call ahead and set up a time to come by.
The center also accepts donations of items related to the Town of Champlain's rich history. Please call to discuss a potential donation.
Please call ahead of time and make an appointment.
Samuel de Champlain History Center
202 Elm Street, P.O. Box 3333
Champlain, New York 12919
First National Bank of Champlain, built in 1880,
second story added 1905. Today the site of the history center.
The Champlain History Center in the Local Media
Press-Republican - about Celine Paquette and the History Center (December 16, 2008)
Press-Republican - The beginning of the Quadricentennial (February 2009)
Press-Republican - Samuel de Champlain in Glass (December 30, 2009)
(about the stained glass window at the top of the page)
Press-Republican - David Fadden Shares Mohawk Stories (July 2011)
Press-Republican - Quadricentennial Records Housed at the History Center (Dec. 15, 2011)
All Points North (SUNY-Plattsburgh) - Establishment of the Samuel de Champlain History Center (2009).
Hometown Cable TV in Champlain - Champlain Quadricentennial at the History Center (2008)
Hometown Cable TV in Champlain - Canal Boat History by Ray Allard at the History Center (2010)
Strictly Business business magazine - a profile of Celine Paquette and her history center (2014)