Note: It was always
thought this publication was printed by the
Moorsfield Press, but in two 1973 letters written
by Woody McLellan, he stated that he did not print
this brochure. He did do the research and the
layout. At the time, Woody had some health
Paquette & Charles W. McLellan
SUNDAY, AUGUST 25 - 26
A Division of
HARRIS INTERTYPE CORPORATION
Village of Champlain
Years of Growth
Our Company since
its founding in 1840, and the Village of Champlain
have grown to maturity together.
And may the years ahead continue this partnership to
our mutual benefit. 1840 —
CHAMPLAIN — 1973
CHAMPLAIN —THE FIRST
The Village of Champlain
lies entirely within the boundaries of the "Smith
& Graves Patent" of 1785.
In 1781 and 1782 the State of New York authorized
the raising of two regiments, for service within
the state for the duration of the Revolutionary
War, on bounties of unappropriated lands.
Pliny Moore of Kinderhook, N.Y. was delegated by
63 soldiers to locate their rights. Being on
active service in the Mohawk Valley as a
lieutenant in one of these regiments, he appointed
an agent to act for him. In 1783 two applications
for land were made—one on the Susquehanna River
and the other south of Seneca Lake.
These not being granted, attention was turned to
the Lake Champlain wilderness, and late in 1785
the Smith & Graves Patent of 11,600 acres was
issued, after considerable dispute over the claims
of Col. Gabriel Christie and the Canadian &
Nova Scotia Refugees. The title of the grant is
derived from the names of the first two persons on
the original patent: Levi Smith and Mark Graves.
Pliny Moore made an outline survey of the location
in the spring of 1785, completing it the following
year by laying it out into 119 lots. These lots
were balloted for in February 1787, and by the
so-called Great Deed were distributed among the
On March 7, 1788, the state legislature created
Clinton County (formerly a part of Washington
County), which included all of the present Essex
County and parts of Franklin County. What is now
Clinton County was divided into two townships,
Plattsburgh and Champlain, the latter including
all of the present towns of Chazy and westward
into Franklin County.
On May 23, 1788, Pliny Moore, together with Samuel
Ashmun, William Beaumont, Elnathan Rogers, Joseph
Rowe and Caleb Thomas, arrived here to start the
new settlement by clearing land, cutting out rough
roads, and building a saw mill. Its first name was
"Moorsfield on the River Chazy."
By 1790, according to the first Federal Census,
the town had grown to 37 families, totaling 149
persons. 28 of these families were of
These French-Canadians were those who had
supported the American cause during the Revolution
as soldiers, thus losing their homes in Canada—the
Refugees. New York State eventually granted them
land (including all of Rouses Point, the Town of
Mooers, and portions of Chazy and Altona). Prior
to this they "squatted" along the shores of Lake
A census made in 1787 include many names still
found in the area: Gossel in, Hamelin, Belangee,
Ayot, Trehent, Marney, Lavoie, Langlois, Pepin,
Durivage, Paulint, Lizot. (Spelling as shown on
Only one of the families in this census can with
reasonable possibility be placed as within the
present borders of our village: that of Presque
Asselin, the ancestor of present-day Ashline
families. He thus could have been the first
permanent settler in Champlain.
SOME "FIRSTS" IN CHAMPLAIN
The first death in Champlain was that of Joseph
Rowe in 1789. He was buried near the top of Church
The first birth was that of Ann, daughter of Pliny
Moore, in 1790. She married Julius Caesar Hubbell,
a lawyer and life-long resident of Chazy. His
office is now the Chazy Public Library.
Dr. Benjamin Moore, a brother of Pliny, was the
first doctor to settle permanently here, about
1797. His ledgers indicate that it cost about
$1.25 to be born and about $2.50 to die.
Our first library was established in 1807. Our
present library was organized in 1924, on the
second floor of the old bank building.
The first postmaster was Pliny Moore, in 1797.
The oldest large home in original condition is
Alfred Gagnon's on Oak Street, built by Alexander
Whiteside in 1816.
Champlain's first newspaper was "The Herald of
Freedom," an anti-slavery paper published by Orson
Trains ran for the first time in 1848, between
Champlain and Mooers Forks. It was completed from
Rouses Point to Ogdensburg in 1850.
Our first fire engine was purchased in 1873. The
name of our present department is derived from the
name of the engine Niagara—painted on its side by
the manufacturer. It required 60 men to fully man
Our first soda fountain was installed in
1881 in the drug store of B.C. Moore, later
Falcon's Drug Store.
New York Phone 298-9521
CHAMPLAIN AS AN INCORPORATED VILLAGE
An election was held on
Sept. 23, 1873, to decide whether or not we would
incorporate. The final vote: 91 "yes" and 87 "no."
Those who opposed incorporation filed a petition
in 1875 to "dis-incorporate" and in February a
second election was held, this time the vote being
104 to remain incorporated and 89 against.
The size of the new Village was 730 acres, 104
square rods, and 16 and 6 ' 16th square feet.
During the earlier years the Village Board
consisted of a President and three Trustees (later
increased to four). About 1926 the title of
President was changed to Mayor. A complete list of
Presidents and Mayors with their terms of office
1899-1908 George Graves
1908-10 Milo Scriver
1875-76 S. Alonzo
1910-23 Oliver Lafontaine
1923-26 Fred Dodds
1926-43 Arsene E. Tremblay
1943-44 Noah E. Lafontaine
1886-87 Benjamin C.
1944-45 Nazaire Lavoie
1887-90 Robert H.
1945-47 Foster M. Strickland
1890-92 Henry S.
1947-51 Arsene E. Tremblay
1951-53 James Todd
1893-94 Amasa B.
1953-65 Clifford LaPlante
1894-97 Charles F.
1965-69 David Southwick
1969- Robert Morgan
Only thirteen Village Clerks during this hundred
1878-82 David Savage
1882-83 A.L. Webb
1883-84 Wilmer H. Dunn
1887-91 Egbert Everest
1891 Newton J. Herrick
1891-1930 N. Ponchel St. Maxens
William A. Paquette
1952-to date Lawrence
Recent Treasurers have been Walter H. Doolittle
(1912-44); Kenneth Kaufman (1944-51); Lawrence
Paquette (1951-57); Francis Deloria.
Trustees during the past 30 years, in alphabetical
DID YOU KNOW THAT...
In 1806 a
bounty of $20 was offered for every wolf killed
in the town—later raised to $50? A "wolf ring"
was formed in Mooers, which imported dead wolves
from Vermont and Canada, claiming them to be
killed here, thus defrauding the taxpayers of
several thousands of dollars. With the
termination of the bounty, no further wolves
were discovered in the area.
Our present "Champlain House"
was built in 1850, and advertised that their
stages would meet all steamboats at Rouses
The International Fair
Grounds and Trotting Park, owned by Robert
McCrea, was located about where the Northway
Theatre is today?
A paper mill was operated by
the Whiteside Brothers (John and Frank) a bit
downstream from the village water tower?
Fire carts with hose were
placed strategically in various locations around
the village? Some of these were behind our
Village Clerk's home on Pine Street; near the
"ski shop;" near the Sheridan plant; and back of
the American House and on Cedar Street.
A distillery was built in
Champlain before 1800, on Distillery Street (now
Water Street) behind the present A & P
store? It was later converted into a tannery, in
operation until about 1892, when it was
destroyed by fire.
The school taxes on one
piece of property in the village was $31.31 in
1945 and had risen to $206.39 by 1972?
Established in the Village of Champlain
for the past 19 years.
Manufacturers of High Purity Reagent Chemicals,
Clinical Solutions, Solvents, Stains. etc.
One of the largest manufacturers of the Hemodialysis
Concentrate used in the Kidney Machines Throughout
the United States and Canada.
High School - 1889 - 1940
The lamp of knowledge came to
Champlain in 1792, with an Englishman, Michael
Fotherg ill, as the first teacher. Four years
later the first Board of Trustees was chosen,
followed in 1797 by the first schoolhouse—a
log building near the railroad crossing on Oak
The second building was of frame, built a few
years later on Church Street where the "locker
plant" now stands. This was also used as a
blockhouse during the War of 1812, and was
burned in 1814. The U.S. Government reimbursed
the owners to the amount of $400.
A brick building was built on the same site at a
cost of about $1100. This building was 40 by 26
feet. It was sold by the School District in
The Champlain Academy was erected in 1842, at
the corner of Elm and Prospect Streets. It was a
three story brick and stone building, 40 by 80
feet, and cost $5,200 including furnishings.
Destroyed by fire in 1887, it was replaced at a
cost of $11,000 by the building shown above, to
which an addition was built in 1905. This
structure was completely destroyed by fire in
December 1940, the site now being occupied by
the home of Mr. Carl Fresn.
A new building was built in 1941-42 at a cost of
$171,000, which is now the present grade school
for our area of the Northeastern Clinton Central
Consolidations of the many small school
districts started in 1860; continued with the
establishment of the Union Free School System in
1871 and the gradual expansion into our present
Central School System.
Notable among our early instructors are Dr.
William Beaumont, who taught School in Champlain
in 1807-10, and Jehudi Ashmun in 1815. Recent
principals before Mr. Maher were Mr. Bacon,
Marvin and Codding.
DID YOU KNOW THAT...
The Village Hall was
officially opened in May 1929?
It is on the site of the Presbyterian Church,
destroyed by fire in 1927.
A street car line was seriously considered in
1905, to run between Champlain and Rouses Point?
The statue of Samuel de Champlain shown on the
cover was unveiled in front of St. Mary's Church
on July 4, 1907? This was the first statue ever to
be erected in the United States to our namesake.
The fourth annual New York State French-Canadian
Convention was held in Champlain in 1881?
The Bredenberg Brothers (Oscar and Henrik) were
one of the first manufacturers of skis in the
United States, about 1910?
For seven years (1930-36) the Champlain Community
Exhibit "packed 'em in" at the Village Hall, and
disbanded because it was too successful? Some
twenty thousand admissions were sold (at 15c each)
for this depression-inspired activity to stimulate
community togetherness and boost local businesses.
The island in our river was created into an
"Island Park" about 1876? It was complete with
bath houses, band stand and concessions, and foot
bridges connected it with both shores.
A news item in the "Champlain Doodlebug" printed
in 1933 said: "Spring must be here; Woody McLellan
was seen on the street this morning at eleven
The Village of Champlain
CHAMPLAIN AND THE
WAR OF 1812
During the first hundred years of its existence,
Champlain was very much in a "war zone"—either
actual or potential.
Point au Fer, south of Rouses Point, was occupied
by a British garrison until 1796, who claimed all
of our area and repeatedly warned the citizens to
vacate their lands.
War seemed inevitable in 1807, after the attack by
the British on an American war vessel. A Committee
of Safety appealed to the Governor for protection,
who quickly authorized the storing in Champlain of
a quantity of arms and ammunition for the use by
the citizens, should the need arise. These arms
remained in the community until 1813, when they
were turned over to the arsenal at Plattsburgh,
Pliny Moore's diary contains numerous references
to "training and trooping" during this period. And
until the conclusion of the final peace, the diary
gives much light on the military activities in the
area. His home, being the largest in the
community, was used by both American and British
officers as their headquarters.
Here are samplings from his diary: Gen. Pettit
here; Gen. Dearborn; Gen. Fasset; Gen. Wilkinson;
Gen. Winder; Gen. Izard; Gov. Provost; Gen.
Brisbane; also numerous other officers. Of
particular interest are the entries merely marked
"VDK," which indicated conferences between the
American leaders and Eleazer Williams of
Hogansburg, who organized a "Corps of Observation"
or spy ring of Iroquois Indians.
activities are also numerous:
June 3, 1813: Battle of Lt. Sidney Smith &
loss of 2 armed Sloops. July 31: British at
Plattsburgh. Aug. 3: Block Houses burnt by
British. Sept. 7: British squadron sailed up the
lake. (These last three entries refer to the
daring raid on Plattsburgh, Swanton, Chazy and
Champlain by the British Col. Murray.) Sept. 20:
The Army passed into Odletown Battle. Sept. 21:
Counter Marched. (A defeat for the Americans.)
Mar. 30, 1814: Gen. Wilkinson's Battle of Lacolle.
Mar. 31: Gen. Wilkinson returned to Champlain.
(Another defeat.) July 25: A man shot for
desertion. Aug. 28: British Indian Force came into
Champlain. Aug. 29: All peaceable except for one
drunken Indian. Sept. 4: British Army, about
14,000, passed on to Chazy with 16 pieces cannon.
Sept. 6: Battle at Beekmantown. Sept. 11: Battle
of the Fleets. McDonough took the Ship, the Brigg
and 2 Sloops. Sept. 13: British Army passed (in
retreat) except one Brigade at Champlain. Sept.
25: British Army left Champlain. Feb. 22, 1815.
Celebration of Peace.
During the Canadian Rebellion of 1837 the
community again prepared for trouble, as the
"rebels" used the United States as places of
Finally, during our Civil War, troops were
stationed along the border, as war seemed near
several times with Britain. And with the
Confederate raid on St. Albans from Canadian soil
in 1864, Committees of Safety were for the last
time organized by our citizens.
THE VILLAGE OF CHAMPLAIN, N.Y.
Robert E. Morgan, Mayor
Aurel W. Parsons
Paquette, Village Clerk
Francis Deloria, Village Treasurer
Gerald Mayo, Kenneth La Plante, Cleo
Albert Morelli, Parade Marshal
Francis Deloria, Treasurer
Congratulations To The
Village of Champlain
On Its Centennial
As you celebrate your 100th
anniversary as an Incorporated Village, we complete
our First Year of operations in the area. We now
look forward to our Centennial and your Bicentennial
ALCO PACKING CO., INC.
WHOLESALERS OF BEEF AND VEAL
Saturday, August 25
Games, Rides and Booths opened.
10:00 a.m.- 7:00
Displays throughout Village.
Box Lunches on Elementary School Grounds.
2:00 - 5:00
Games and Races on School Grounds.
Band Concert in Village Park on Main Street.
Dedication of Village Park.
Speaker: Congressman Robert C. McEwen
Two Street Dances
the American Hotel, the other
on Prospect Street near the Savoy Hotel)
Sunday, August 26
Games and Rides resumed.
2:30 - 4:00
Band and Music Exhibitions
Chicken Barbeque on School Grounds
4:00 - 8:00
Smorgasbord at the American Legion.
Raffle Drawings on School Grounds.
Closing of Booths.
JOTTINGS FROM THE RECORDS OF THE
The official Village Seal,
adopted in 1873, bears a replica of the Coat of
Arms of Samuel de Champlain.
John Bigelow was appointed our
first Police Chief, Stephen Boileau the first
Street Commissioner, and Benjamin Moore the first
In 1874 a Poll Tax of $1 was
imposed on all males between 21 and 60 years of
age (later raised to 70 years). Firemen and
clergymen were exempt.
Amos Voodrie was hired at $30 a
year to wind the Village Clock in 1874. Although
later reduced to $20, he kept the job for 18
In 1876 the Police Chief was
charged with failure to arrest drunks.
A Resolution was adopted in
1878 forbidding the building of gates which would
swing outward onto the sidewalks.
June 1887 the Board voted to
purchase 12 gasoline street lamps to light the
Main Street area. Paid $60 for them installed,
purchased from Sun Vapor Light & Stove Company
of Canton, Ohio. The following year 20 kerosene
lamps were added. Louis Louisel le was appointed
the first Lamplighter of the village at $36 a
year. The H. L. Doolittle store got the first
kerosene contract at 8.9c a gallon. In 1890 the
Board voted to spend $800 on building a Village
Lockup. At election time the voters turned it
After years of requiring
residents to build and maintain their own wooden
sidewalks in certain portions of the village, the
Board voted in 1891 to take over their
maintenance. This was voted down by the residents
at a special election, 38 to 16, but in 1895 the
Board did take over the sidewalks.
As early as 1891 the question
of a water system for the village was discussed.
Finally in 1897 a special election resulted in a
172 to 29 vote in favor of raising $20,000 for a
water system to provide "pure and wholesome water"
to the village. In the same year the Board
contracted with F. 8 J.R. Whiteside for lease of
land for a pumping station and for use of water,
at $1000 a year, "plus 25c per capita when our
population exceeds 2000 persons." (In 1970 our
population was still only 1500.) Our water system
was in full operation by the summer of 1898.
In June 1897 the Board
authorized a contract with a "reputable company"
for electric lighting within the village, and
contracts with Robert McCrea for $650 a year for
five years if he got the system up by September 1,
In December 1897 the Board
hired "special detective police" to curb gambling
in the village.
N. Ponchel St. Maxens, the
Village Clerk, was employed in January 1898 to
complete a census of the village.
In May 1898 the Board
authorized the installation of two "telephone
boxes" "to correspond with station," one to be
installed in Niagara Hall, the other at the
Flood Waters in Champlain-1904
BY FLOOD AND BY FIRE
Since its earliest
settlement, our village has been menaced almost
annually by ice jams and spring floods on our
normally peaceful and lazy Great Chazy River.
In an early diary are found references for seven
years between 1801 and 1819 of such disasters:
"foot bridge went," "saw mill went," "new dam
broke," "stone mill went," "old saw mill dam
Other references found include "the rarest, most
destructive flood ever witnessed in our river in
1857;" "The great flood at Champlain on April 1,
1886, carried away the new iron bridge and did
great damage to property;" "1892, the river rose
from 7 to 8 feet." And on at least two other
occasions bridges were destroyed by the ice jams.
The editors have photographs of many other floods
in this century, at least eight between 1904 and
1946. And few of us will forget the flooding this
past winter of 1973.
Of the many fires which have over the years
threatened our village, probably the best
remembered by old-timers was that of April 27,
1912, which endangered the entire community, due
to the "wind of almost tornado proportions."
Starting in the building across from our Village
Hall, it quickly spread to a nearby bakery,
crossed the river to Dr. Wootton's present home,
gutted the McLellan home (Parson's), spread to
buildings owned by the Nye's and the Crook's, and
some two miles away to the Bernard Dodds farm.
Numerous roofs took fire, and departments assisted
from Rouses Point and Plattsburgh—the latter
arriving in automobiles containing fire hose. A
special train started from Malone with their
equipment, but turned back when news was received
that the fire was contained.
DO YOU REMEMBER...
When school would be let out one fine day each
spring, to go to a Sugar Bush to eat sugar on the
During the 1930's when a dollar would buy quite a
lot of food? Corn Flakes at 7c; sugar at 10 pounds
for 45c; 2 heads of lettuce for 15c; 25c a dozen
for oranges; bacon at 22c a pound; hamburg at 12c;
sirloin steak at 27c; eggs at 20c a dozen and
butter at 23c a pound.
The building which collapsed from the heavy snow a
few years ago, across from the old bank building?
It had been, among other things, a roller skating
rink, a bowling alley, a garage, a hall for dances
and bazaars, a creamery, and a basketball court.
When the American Legion sponsored amateur boxing
and wrestling in the Village Hall during the
That a boat-yard was located at the foot of River
Street for many years? A great number of barges,
canal boats and private boats were built there.
During its later years it was operated by Bill
Earl, the friend and "father-confessor" to
countless generations of our local boys, who
enjoyed his endless stream of tall tales.
That "bootlegging" was probably the biggest
"industry" in Champlain from 1920 to 1933? Ask any
old-timer about his memories (and possible
participation) in this most lucrative activity,
which laid the foundation for many local fortunes.
When a postal card cost l cent?
Main StreetChamplain, N.Y.
IRON AGE IN CHAMPLAIN
Solomon Bostwick, a local cabinet and
furniture maker, listed "Wood Patterns for
Castings" among his items. These were used by
the Champlain Agricultural Works, established
in the same year; their products included
plows, mowers, tedders and rakes, churns, corn
shellers, and other farm equipment. Their
operations continued as late as the 1900's.
A second foundry was
established in 1840 by Thomas Whiteside on the
corner of Main and Cedar Streets. In 1847 it
was leased to David Finley and James Smith.
Although the machine shop connected with it
burned down in 1848, it was soon rebuilt and
continued there for six years.
In 1854 Finley and Smith
built a new foundry on the site of the present
Sheridan Company. It consisted of a two-story
brick machine shop, 40x80, and a brick foundry
building, 40x100, containing two cupolas.
They made steam engines and boilers, circular
saw mills, iron water wheels, brass and iron
castings, stoves and pumps—also car wheels for
the Northern (later Rutland) Railroad.
The years that followed saw
changes in ownership and name: D. Finley &
Co., H.W. Clark & Co., Champlain Foundry
& Machine Shops, Champlain Iron Works,
Sheridan Iron Works, and now The Sheridan
Company, a Division of the Harris Intertype
Corporation—but it is the only one in the
North Country with a continuous history of
Ownership passed to Averill
and Kellogg in 1880, and an office was opened
in 1886 in New York City. Their shipments
during this period consisted of letter
presses, standing presses, inkers, and other
The T.W. & C.B.
Sheridan Co. acquired half-interest in 1887,
which later became full ownership. The years
since have been ones of steady development,
and to Mr. Alfred Bredenberg, Chief Engineer
for many years, may be credited much of this
advance. Among his inventions are the Sheridan
Book Covering Machine, the Bookbinder, the
Casemaker, and the line of Sheridan Presses.
machinery is used throughout the world in the
mass production of books and periodicals;
their presses have contributed greatly to the
automotive, aircraft, textile, leather,
chemical, and packaging industries. And it may
truly be said that scarcely a person in the
world has not at one time or another come in
contact with some product that has passed
through a Sheridan machine—made in Champlain.
Four locations for
brick-making in Champlain are known. (1) First,
on Cedar Street, beyond Bredenberg's Hardware.
(1) And on the hill near Stone's Studio. (3)
Also between the railroad right-of-way and the
Glenwood Cemetery. (4) As late as 1895, a
brickyard was located east of the road from the
Sheridan to the Rapids, not far from the present
home of George Cameron.
A CHAMPLAIN SCRAP-BOOK
Champlain's "Haunted House"
was a large stone building on the east side of
upper Oak Street, not far from the Canadian
border. Built by one of the Corbins, it
gradually crumbled away until today nothing
remains. Probably called "haunted" because some
thirty American soldiers were buried nearby
during the War of 1812, during a smallpox
River Street was called "Blue
Street" for years, because a row of houses built
by E.M. McDowell were painted a brilliant blue.
The building now occupied by
the Clark Funeral Home is externally a
duplicate of the home built by Judge Pliny Moore
in 1802. The original building cost about $2000,
including "two barrels of rum for the raising."
1816 is known in history as
"The Year Without A Summer." From an early diary
are found entries showing snow as late as July,
and crop-damaging frosts and ice every month in
John Jacob Astor, America's
first multi-millionaire, was a frequent visitor
in Champlain. As early as 1794, for the
transshipment of a few packs of furs; as late
as 1817, one fur shipment consisting of "221
Bales, 9 Puncheons and 1 Barrel" valued at some
Jehudi Ashmun, son of one of
the first settlers, is considered the founder of
the African country of Liberia. An historical
marker on Oak Street indicates his birthplace.
Dr. William Beaumont, one of
America's greatest physiologists, began his
medical studies in Champlain. His researches
regarding the process of digestion laid the
groundwork for all future studies in this field.
He was Champlain's schoolmaster in 1807-10.
Our only major railroad
accident occurred in August 1891. The east bound
mail train collided with a returning Sunday
School Excursion train, just east of our old
station. Among the killed were Wilmer Angell,
aged 17, and Henry Lamountagne, aged 23, of this
village. Numerous injuries were suffered,
several of which later proved fatal.
The hill on Church Street was
called Brisbin's Hill, after Ezekiel Brisbin, a
blacksmith. It was a favorite toboggan slide in
The area around the present
Sheridan plant was nicknamed "Nebraska" because
of its distance from "down town" in the village.
Favorite swimming holes for
generations of boys were the Nine-foot Hole, and
the Sand Bank at the Rapids.
And a favorite picnic and
swimming place was the Flat Rock, a short way
below the village water pumping station.
Two early hotels in Champlain
were The Herrick House and The Mansion House.
The former was across the road, just east of the
railroad station; the latter, across the street
in front of the Village Hall. Both were
destroyed by fire in recent years.
As it looked Fifty Years Ago.
THE SESSION HOUSE
Buildings, like people, have
biographies. Probably no building in Champlain
has a more varied and interesting genealogy than
the one now the home of Father Chagnon Council,
K. of C., for its ancestry dates back to the
burning of the Montreal Court House 125 years
It seems that a Canadian was
awaiting trial in Montreal, accused of
smuggling, with the records and evidence stored
in the Court House. Charles Lepage of Champlain,
a friend of the accused, agreed to burn down the
Court House, thus hopefully destroying the
Lepage constructed a
so-called "infernal machine." With this he
experimented on the Champlain Presbyterian
Church in June 1844, and was eminently
successful. A month later he made a similar
attempt on the Montreal Court House This was
only partially successful, and Lepage escaped to
the United States. After lengthy hearings before
Justices in Champlain, he was extradited to
Canada, tried and convicted, and was the "guest"
of the Canadian Government for some fifteen
years. He is supposed to be the first American
extradited to Canada under the Webster-Ashburton
The Trustees of the Champlain
Presbyterian Church immediately built a
structure to serve as a temporary church until a
permanent building could be erected. It was
called a Session House for many years, and is
now the older part of the Knights of Columbus
During the next century and a
quarter, it has been used for almost every
conceivable purpose. An admittedly incomplete
list includes: church, Woodmen of America Lodge
Hall, village fire house and lock-up, public
hall for dances and political purposes,
furniture factory, cow barn, garage, feed store,
U.S. Customs House, music studio, stores of
every description (jewelry, grocery, furniture),
newspaper office (The Champlain Counselor),
doctor's office, printing office, apartments,
and probably best remembered as the Lyceum
Theatre from 1914 until 1948.
MAIN STREET—THE LAST THIRTY
YEARS OR SO
(Can you add to, or correct, the following list?
Jog your memory!)
On the north side of the street, starting at:
Arthur Brassard, Parquet Flooring. Now residence
of Leon Tremblay.
Tremblay Chevrolet. Now Village Garage.
Noah Gload's Meats & Groceries; Lionel
Trudeau (later Edward Leege) Western Auto. Later
Fred & Chauncey Mac Kay's Meat Market;
Pearley Abare's Shoe Repairs.
Ulysses Laventure's Bar, Restaurant & Dance
Hall. Burned in 1943.
Mamie & Lillian's Beauty Parlor & Hat
Shop; E. Lalonde's Barber Shop; O.R. Dunn's Law
Office. Burned in 1966.
Grocery of Gilbert Gaudette, later John Wells,
Albert Ives, finally James Chevalier. Destroyed
Bert Jefferson's Ice Cream; Ma Bruso's
Restaurant; Restaurant, Bar & Grille by Gene
Bedard, Boucher & Trombly, Hubert Trombley,
and Willis Goodrow; Leo Filion's Laundromat.
Destroyed by fire.
Kenneth Kaufman's Dept. Store; Mousseau's
Pharmacy. Burned in 1966.
Frank Jefferson's Furniture; Mert's Restaurant
(later Gerald Babbie's and Harold Babbie's). Now
Grand Union; Baily & Therien's Furniture;
Elmer Lucas Grocery; Lucas Western Auto. Now
Reginald Gardiner's (later Fred Porter's)
Grocery; Marcel's Clothing; O.R. Dunn's Law
Office. Now Quinn & Keable's Law Office.
A & P ; Mousseau's Pharmacy. Now Care
John Dupont's (later Elmer Lucas) Grocery;
Laundromat. Now vacant.
Margaret & Grace's Country Store; Claude
Lavoie's Hardware; Clinton Auto Parts. Now
Walter Doolittle's Clothing; Paul Bailey's
Hardware; Nil-O-Dor Manufacturing; Margaret's
Store. Now vacant.
Phil Agel's N.Y. Bargain Store; Pearl's. Now
Fashion Shoppe. Ernest Barrier's Gas Station.
Site of present A&P and Bank. Bea's Beauty
Shop; Jim Todd's Restaurant. Now Romeo's
Costello's Farm Machinery; Emile Jefferson's
IGA. Now Clinton Auto.
Mansion House; Costello Block; various shops.
Now Art's Amoco site.
And do you remember these on the south side of
Falcon's Drug Store; Bill Hogge's Drug Store
(formerly Branch's); Bill LeClair's Sundries;
Therien's Furniture; Arsene Tremblay's Barber
Shop; Ezra Trepanier's Insurance; Goven's
Restaurant; Gladys Averill's Bar & Grille;
Clarence Mayo's Barber Shop.
A few other businesses. Remember them?
Fred Bodette's Shoe Shop, Louise Dupont's Candy
STREET PAVING REDI—MIX
"You Name it — We do it"
Village of Champlain
A hundred years is an
age which few people attain, yet the life of a
community goes on forever.
May we wish that the next hundred years will
continue to bless Champlain with citizens kind in
heart and strong in spirit.